Distinguish yourself as a skilled professional in perinatal care. This course will enhance your ability to care for and support childbearing women, newborns, and families with information on cultural influences as well as common problems and risk factors you will experience in this field.
To sign up for this course visit: https://www.ed2go.com/ulm/
Caring for mothers and infants requires a multidisciplinary, and culturally appropriate, approach to ensure they and their families are provided with effective, compassionate care and support. Understanding clinical issues, such as diabetes, hypertension disorders in pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy, postpartum depression, pediatric abusive head trauma, and others are essential to the safe, professional care of mothers and infants. In addition, understanding the global issues faced by childbearing women and their families is critical to ensuring the health and well-being of this population.
The outcome of this certificate is for the learner to describe important clinical, cultural, and global aspects of care of childbearing women, newborns, and families.
(20 contact hours)
Expiration Date: 2/23/2025
(Next date of course revision)
Conflicts of Interest and Relevant Financial Relationships: The authors/planning committee members have no conflicts of interest or relevant financial relationships to declare relevant to this activity.
Non-endorsement of Products: Accreditation refers to recognition of continuing nursing education only and does not imply ALLEGRA approval or endorsement of any commercial product.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions courses are acceptable for continuing education in all states.
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #CEP 14693, for the stated number of contact hours.
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANTS (CNAs) & CERTIFIED HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIANS (CHTs)
The California Department of Health, Aid, and Technician Certification Section accepts continuing education offered by CA-BRN approved providers.
CERTIFIED MANAGED CARE NURSE (CMCN)
The American Board of Managed Care Nursing recognizes all of ALLEGRA Learning Solutions' ANCC accredited courses for continuing education credit for Certified Managed Care Nurses (CMCNs).
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions, LLC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. To satisfy the requirement for renewal of certification by continuing education for the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE), continuing education activities must be applicable to diabetes and approved by a provider on the NCBDE List of Recognized Providers (www.ncbde.org). NCBDE does not approve continuing education.
NAADAC (National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors)
ALLEGRA Learning Solutions is an approved provider with the National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) (Provider #107194).
What you will learn
- Explain differences in the childbirth practices, beliefs, and traditions of various cultures.
- Discuss issues of global perinatal health, including malnutrition, gender-based violence, female genital mutilation, and methods for improving the global health of women and children.
- Discuss the health impacts of diabetes in pregnancy.
- Explain the clinical issues surrounding hyperemesis gravidarum.
- Discuss the recognition, treatment, and prevention of pediatric abusive head trauma (shaken baby syndrome).
- Discuss the wide-ranging impacts of postpartum depression on the mother, infant, and family.
- Explain the clinical issues surrounding the detection, treatment, and prevention of neonatal Group B streptococcal infection.
How you will benefit
- Learn how cultural influences childbirth including practices, beliefs, and traditions.
- Examine the effects of diabetes, hypertensive disorders, ectopic pregnancy, and postpartum depression affect the perinatal period.
- Examine the causes, consequences, treatment, and prevention options for pediatric abusive head trauma ("shaken baby syndrome").
- Explore perinatal health from a global perspective, including the importance of maternal and child health on the overall health and well-being of communities.
- Discover ways to improve your total health and well-being and positively impact your life and the life of your family.
- Learn new information that can help you prepare for a career in many areas of health (including health education, public health, nursing, medicine, social work, environmental health, or health coaching) as well as other fields (such as law, political science, advocacy, etc.).
- Enhance your professional marketability with training specific to the topics covered.
- Build knowledge and competencies needed to advance your career and/or improve your personal health and well-being.
- Fulfill continuing education and/or national certification requirements.
How the course is taught
- Instructor-led or self-paced online course
- 6 Weeks or 3 Months access
- 20 course hours