The Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA) course focuses on the ethical, professional and clinical concepts as they relate to the dental assistant, dental procedures and the dental office.
Through the use of case presentations, discussions, assignments, online lectures, and in-class clinical labs the dental assistant will learn the foundation of assisting.
The course is 4 weeks of didactic, online learning and 2 days of on-site clinical hands-on labs totaling 27 hours upon completion. Students are expected to be in the ULM Dental Hygiene Clinic during the final weekend of the course for the clinical portion.
Fall 2023 Online Course Schedule:
September 11, 2023 -- First Day of Online portion
Fall 2023 Clinical Dates (on-campus):
1 - 5 PM on Friday, October 6th
8 AM - 5 PM on Saturday, October 7th
Potential participants are required to have worked in a dental office for at least 6 months to be admitted to this course.
For any questions, please contact Kim Whorton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certificates will be awarded for the completion of the course if:
1. The prerequisite is verified
2. All sessions are attended (including clinical)
3. If a passing grade is obtained on tests covering the objectives of the course.
Louisiana State Board of Dentistry
ON-SITE MANDATORY PROFESSIONAL CLINICAL ATTIRE:
- Scrubs with Smock
- Professional nursing shoe or athletic shoe with a closed toe and heel
- Hair pulled back off the shoulders and face (ponytail, bun, braided)
- Two-hole handpiece for coronal polishing
- Safety glasses
- Nails should be short during clinical on-site labs with no acrylic fingernails
Upcoming EDDA Course Dates:
Feb. 5 - March 2, 2024
April 8 - May 4, 2024
The Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA) course is a 4-week, online didactic and two-day onsite clinical course.
Clinical Dates: October 6 & 7, 2023